In 1894 Nathan was unheard of.  There was only a vast wilderness; but the Wisconsin & Michigan Railroad was built that year from a narrow gauge to a standard.  Then the road was bought by a large dry-goods concern, Kuh, Nathan, and Fischer of Chicago.  The name Nathan was taken of Nathan. The first settlers in Nathan were Eugene Houte, Paul Brunette, and C.W. Wilkins; nationalities, German, French, and Belgian.  Fred Golden was also an old settler and is still here, and Fred Wachter who was a cedar jobber, and long dead before 1941. The first post-office was called Wittmund, later change to Nathan.  The first school was established in 1897.  The first church was built considerably later, subscriptions being obtained to build the Catholic church which still stood in 1941. In 1806, then later, Nathan had one hotel, one store, and one saloon, with several logging camps in the vicinity.  The Indians near White Rapids did a lot of trading there. After logging was completed, farming took its place as the prime occupation.  
Source:  Menominee County Book for Schools, edited by Ethel Schuyler.  Menominee, Michigan: Office of County School Commissioner, 1941.
Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 84 of 182)